Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, March 31, 2014

Please Bear With Me

Good morning, we have a lot of things going on right now so bear with me through this lengthy post.

1) Ran 3 miles on Thursday then ran another 2 while pacing Mrs Schlub.  Honestly my ITB was tight so I decided to take Friday and Saturday off to rest.  Got back out there yesterday morning.  Back when I was mountain biking (I think that fad lasted about 2 weeks lol) I found some great single tracks about 20 min from our house.  I figured this would be a great place to get a trail run in since I've been on most of the trails before.  Drove out and hit the trails about 6am.  I cant stop exclaiming how much I love trail running.  I didnt run into any other hikers/runners/riders until there was about 1 mile left on my run.  Didnt run into any rattle snakes either and had some amazing skylines while the sun was coming up. In the end I ran 5 miles in and back, total time was 46:09 and had an 8:58 min pace.  Great run and came out with no ITB pain. 
2) I finally gave in and started strength training.  Not much but I've started doing squats periodically throughout the day and my glutes and hamstrings are SORE!  I plan to keep this up at work today, go for a walk around our building and do some squats and lunges.  If this keeps me injury free and gets rid of that pesky ITB pain, I'm going to give it my all.
 
3) Last weeks running breakdown:
3/23/14 - 0 miles
3/24/14 - 3 miles - 10:44 pace
3/25/14 - 1 miles - 8:00 pace
3/26/14 - 3.5 miles - 8:29 pace
3/27/14 - 5.17 miles - 9:17 pace
3/28/14 - 0 miles
3/29/14 - 0 miles
 
Total - 12.68 miles, 9:07 pace
 
As I look at that I just shake my head, WOW what a terrible week LOL.

4) Mrs Schlub and I are pretty full with runs over the next couple months.  As we run more, meet new people, we get invited to more and more runs.  Of course we love charity and love running, so of course we say "Yes" lol.  I plan to update my upcoming races chart but here is a list of races we have coming up and the charities being supported.
  • 4/26/14 - Pat Tillman Run - 4.2 miles - Supports Tillman Military Scholars
  • 5/03/14 - Diamondbacks Run - 3.1 miles - Supports Dbacks Foundation for cancer research
  • 5/10/14 - The Night Run - 6.2 Miles - Supports Workshops for Youth and Families
  • 5/18/14 - 1st Annual Run for the Girls - 3.1 miles - Supports Breast Cancer
Wow we are going to be busy in May!

5) Continuation from point number 3.......we have officially signed up for.....drum roll please........

Our first FULL MARATHON!!!

We have singed up for the 2015 Phoenix Marathon.

Running friends of ours told us the marathon was at a really good price until the end of the month.  On impulse Mrs Schlub and I grabbed our credit card and signed up.  Once we did it, we looked at each other and said "What did we just do???" LOL.  I am super excited and look forward to training throughout the end of the year.  I would still like to knock the half marathon off my list before the end of the year in preparation for the full so we will see how that goes.

Have you ever done a virtual run?  Do all of your races support some type of charity?

10 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME that you signed up for a marathon. I had to laugh at your "what did we just do?!" comment--I can relate. When is the Phoenix Marathon? You will have fun! It is also great that you are doing it together...
    Strength training...I can relate. Started being more diligent about 5 weeks ago, and went through what seems like forever of running on tired, heavy legs. However, last week I did feel stronger on a longer run--when I was starting to fade, I could rely on my form etc. I still have some adjusting to do, but I can see the positives. Stick with it!

    That's a lot of races in May--I bet you can get that new PR in a 5k.

    OK, maybe in AZ I would not be a trail runner--SNAKES!!! (or maybe I would be a REALLY fast trail runner). I have been freaked out by a huge frog, turkeys, and waylaid by a family of skunks...All of which resulted in some days off from the trails and convincing my husband to go with me--but snakes, yeah, I think I would be done!!
    Most of the races I have done have supported some type of charity by the entrance fee, and a couple have been where you have to ask friends/family for donations...
    I noticed that a fair amount of the ultras have some community service requirements. You have to show that you donate some of your time to the running community, by coaching kids, working aid stations etc. I think it is a good idea.
    I have never done a virtual run...
    Can't wait to hear about the marathon training! have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the accountability right there. We could of found a million reasons not to do it, but signing up and just going with it, we are locked in now. Race is February 2015, so we have plenty of time to train. Or fall off the wagon lol.

      I know strength training will help in the long run, its just making the conscious effort to do it. Need to start PLANNING it into my weeks.

      With two 5K's coming up, I'm sure one of them can be a PR. My goal is to run the Pat Tillman 4.2 miles under 30 min. If that is the case I should be able to break 22 min in one of those 5K's. We will see how things go.

      Snakes arent that bad. You usually hear them well in advance of coming upon them and just have to watch where you are going. Its the bobcats and coyotes you really have to watch out for, J/K.

      The ultras intrigue me, I'm sure at some point I'll look more into that as I love trail running. Intersting that they require community service, not that its a problem for us.

      Delete
  2. Congrats for signing up! When I hit submit on the Portland Marathon registration page last year I was SO EXCITED. I still am... I can't wait to start training next month!

    I like doing races that support charity, but I don't always select my races based on that. It's just one of the factors that goes in.

    I have done two virtual races. I don't love the virtual racing aspect (because really it's just a training run for me), but I did want to support two of the bloggers I follow who were trying to raise money for Team in Training which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm excited. When The Fiance ran the half marathon earlier this year, I got to see the lead marathoner come through the course. It was amazing. Really inspiring!

      I see the virtual races as a training run as well, but I think it would be cool to get one together that has some real coordination. One runner in each state or something like that would be crazy lol.

      Delete
  3. I think racing for charity is a win for everyone! It's a great way to give back while taking care of you :) I think it's awesome you signed up for the marathon together! Try to doing some simple stretches and band work too. It helped me a lot when I was having hip pain. if I can find the you tube links I will post for you. Sometimes it's hard to believe simple things can help. Great fun trail running, and it sure will build strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike when one of us runs a race without the other. It will be a great adventure as we train and complete our first marathon together.

      Any stretches or exercises are appreciated. Trail runs are the best, I feel an ultra coming on in the future.

      Delete
  4. Wahoo!! So exciting!!! I have done virtual runs, they are fun to do!! I know Jost Running does a great job organizing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first, my plan is to use it as a recovery run with three races coming before the virtual run. Concept is great and its a great way to support different charities.

      Delete
  5. Great to see you on the trails. My advice is to only consider speed while trail running relative to previous times ran on that trail, or not even worry about it (especially mile splits). As for snakes, they are sneaky little devils, some times you don't notice them until they are right under your foot - be ready for a quick hop and subsequent sprint! Stay weary of the little demons. In Colorado I've had my share of animal encounters, they're always a bit scary. Stay on the dirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I need to take more time taking in the scenery so I'm not pushing so hard.

      Snakes are tricky but I've only come across one throughout these trails so I feel pretty good about avoiding them.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!