Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, March 24, 2014

Pat on the Back

Well I had the ankle injury last week and really took the time to decide how to handle the recovery.  I think I did a pretty good job and deserve a self pat on the back.  No running Thursday and Friday.  Saturday we went to the park and The Fiance was trying some speed work for the first time so I jogged a bit here and there with her and the ankle felt great.  Last night I had old man softball and had to run here and there, again no real issues.  I feel pretty good about running tonight.

Overall I told myself that I already have more miles this month than I did last month so increasing miles is going well.  The long term goal is to run a half marathon this year and a hurt ankle doesnt help me get to that goal.  So I really had a good mindset coming out of this injury and I got out of it pretty quickly. 

We have our race, The Pat Tillman Run, next month so my base runs will be right around the 4 mile range.  This will have me well prepared for that race.

Have you had any injuries where you either took the correct road to recovery or the wrong road to recovery?  What race are you currently training for?

10 comments:

  1. Have you decided when in the year you want to go for the half marathon? Since you're already up to 8 miles you're so close!

    Glad you're back to feeling better and had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was originally planning a trail run half marathon in September for my bday. I've pretty much wasted all my changes for the next few months. Here in AZ there arent a lot of races that occur during the summer, for good reason. So that leaves later this year for the half.

      I'm glad it wasnt too serious an injury, I dont think I'll see too much fallout from the days off.

      Delete
  2. I have fitathon April 19 (5k with stations), and I have the Reach the Beach in September (200mile, 12 person ragnar). I need to line up some more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ragnar sounds awesome, I want to do one of those some day. The Fiance may be doing one later this year with all the ladies she runs with. I'm jeolous lol.

      Delete
    2. Ragnars are so much fun...they should be on every runner's list. Not only do you get to race 3xs in24 hours, you get to watch others race, cheer them on, work aid stations...so exhausting but so fun.

      Delete
    3. I've seen promo's for some of the ones here in AZ and they have a base camp and everyone runs out on loops from the camp. I can only imagine how fun that is sitting around chatting with bon fires while your waiting for your next run. That would be ideal since it combines camping and running which are two of my favorite activities. Hows the blog coming along??

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine running in AZ heat in the summer. The humidity kills me in the summer. Sept. sound good that will give you time to train and build a strong base :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we are looking into a dreadmill because of how hot it gets. September will be great plus it will be up north so that should be about 20 degrees cooler.

      Delete
  4. I have been down both paths of injury recovery... and luckily have learned it's better to be smarter and back off. :) Great choice to take a few days off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its crazy how much there is to learn in this sport. I am constantly saying to myself "Well I'll remember that for next time" on a number of things. It really was the right choice and now I can get back to the training.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!