Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, March 21, 2014

Need to be Patient

Well day 1 of ankle recovery is in the books.  Yesterday and especially today my ankle is feeling a lot better.  I still need to remind myself contantly that I need to let my ankle get better, it's very hard though.  I wanted to run last night lol and even went as far as going for a ride on my mountain bike to get Buster out for a run.  I don't know if it's just me and my semi obsessive personality or if all runners experience this, but I have been itching to get out there just knowing I am on the mend for a few days.  So that is the update from my training.

On another note, the running forum I read (http://www.therunningforum.com/) had a thread post about weight training during running training.  I personally do not have any weight training in my schedule but always looked at it as "low weight, high reps" to tone and strengthen.  Another member disagreed with my view and so I went in search of a better answer.  A great article by Competitor.com (http://running.competitor.com/2014/02/training/should-distance-runners-lift-heavy_67606) explained it well and actually had me change my view on the whole subject.  To summarize, as runners we should be doing 1 weight training work out a week, using heavy weight at 4-6 reps per exercise.  WHAT??? This was news to me but just goes to show that we are ever learning in this sport we partake.  As you can see I read as much about running as I can, always trying to educate myself, so if you have any interesting reads feel free to shoot them my way.

Do you include weight training in your weekly running plan?  Do you use the "low weight, high reps" plan or do you have a different lifting plan?

10 comments:

  1. When I'm in the middle of training for a race, I cut out heavy lower body lifting to save my legs for running, but always keep an upper body day in there.

    I read a quote from a blogger one time saying that when your legs are tired just pump your arms harder -- which means strong arms are important. I have no idea if there is any science behind that, but I've heard ultra runners say the arm thing too so I think it must be an okay idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting out leg lifting before a race sounds like a good idea.

      I know I get sore in my upper back area during my long runs. So I know upper body is important, I've just been lazy getting in weight training lol.

      Delete
    2. Hungry Runner says keep pumping your arms hard back and forth and your legs will follow lol It really works for her! For me not quite as well, but I do try to think about it when I am tired :)

      Delete
    3. I'll have to try that one of these days. I usually just try to keep kicking my legs when I am getting tired, it gets me to feel like I am gliding rather than griding through my run.

      Delete
  2. I have been trying to add weight training in--I struggle with it, because I don't enjoy it. I was doing low weight, high reps for arms...(To be honest, I am a wimp). I have started lower body (lunges, squats, burpees) and I am pretty good about core. The lower body part is HARD, and it makes my legs tired for my runs--but it will help in the long run (pun intended). I signed up for a fitathlon with is a 5k, with "exercises/challenges" thrown in...I think it will be good for me, as it is making me add these other exercises. I think adding these things will help with the run, injury prevention, and bouncing back from injury.

    I haven't read any running books in a while. I read an inspirational running book this summer called "Running for my Life" it is a memoir by Lopez Lamong who is the current US record holder in the indoor 5k. It tells of his journey from the Sudan, to the US--AMAZING, and definitely inspiring...
    Runners World has a lot of info to--some training plans as well...
    Hope the ankle continues to heal! I FINALLY have a 40 degree day, so I am going to take advantage of it before it gets cold again tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time with weight training as well. Its easier to get out and run than head out to the gym and play musical chairs on the equipment with all the regulars. I know it helps in the long run but I think I'm moving to more of your routine with lunges, squats, etc.

      I read Runners World a lot and we just signed up for their magazine. Great source of information. Based on the weather so far this winter, you definately have to take advantage of a 40 degree day.

      Delete
  3. I have grown to love my weight training sessions. I aim for two sessions a week now. Working my back has really help my core, I am still weaker than I should but I am getting stronger. Bench pressing is one of my favorite things, it works large muscle groups and that means I will burn more calories overall :) and that means I will be lighter when I run and that's a good thing lol !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I know I need to add that into my plan, I just feel like I dont have enough time and it takes needed time away from my running. I know deep down those are just excuses, its just me being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard to fit it all in. I run less days than a lot folks. My goal each week is 4 workouts. if I get more than that - great, but rarely does it happen. I will be doing a post soon about why I started strength training lol You will laugh when you see it.

      Delete
    2. In my case I just need to make time, I choose to run more than taking the time to weight train. I'll be looking out for that post.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!