Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, March 10, 2014

My New Friend

Since I started running about 6 months ago, I've always used my cell phone to track my runs.  I've used both the RunKeeper app and Nike+ app with different challenges with both.  The primary challenge for me is that my GPS signal is weak or dropping mid run.  This is frustrating when you are trying to track pace and distance.

Well all of this is a challenge of the past with my new friend.  Currently wrapped around my wrist is a Garmin Forerunner 110.  I am not a big jewelry and watch guy so I have been wearing this around over the weekend to get use to it and I have to say, we were meant for each other.  If feels like we are molded together to produce running gold lol.  So beginning today, I'll be tracking all my runs via the Garmin no longer having the issue of how fast I am running or how far my run was.

As for running, no running since last week.  Still fighting this cold and I think I'm well enough to attempt a run today.  Not to mention I have to try out this Garmin lol.

What do you use to track your runs?  If you use your phone, do you run into connectivity issues that impacts your stats?

Hope for a short trail run during the day then a nice easy recovery run tonight.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better. I use the Strava app on my phone, and I also just got a Garmin watch. One of the things I am trying to improve on is being more "accountable" on my runs (pace etc). I tend to just lace up the sneakers and go. I think using the Garmin will help with speedwork etc. I have only had connectivity problems when in the White mountains...Funny thing, I was using the Strava app when coaching to prove to the girls (Junior high XC) that they can run 3 miles without stopping, telling them that if they did the whole distance without rest breaks I would, A. let them stop and walk, where ever we were at that point even if it wasn't back at the school, and B. Bake them cookies. They did it--easily. However, I forgot to stop the app, and "set a course" record for the drive home. I think I am the speediest runner on interstate 95 in NH! My husband jokingly pointed it out to me in the evening--
    Another lesson learned, once you bribe a team with cookies, they ALWAYS want cookies. I find their PR's improve significantly! (I am also glad I enjoy baking!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those are the best runs, you just throw on your shoes and dont worry about a thing. Just enjoy the outdoors running.

      HA that is a great story. I've done that before but never improved my time, I have had to contact Nike+ a few times because my pace did not accurately reflect my race times.

      Delete
  2. Very exciting! Welcome to the Garmin cult. I've gone through a bunch of Garmins (405, 910, 610, and now 910 again) and really love them. Sometimes when I'm in downtown DC the satellites have a little more problems loading, but they always lock in eventually and it works great on trail runs and hikes no matter where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that any location I am running could have some satellite issues but it seemed like my phone always had problems. So far fooling around with the Garmin, it picks up the satelittes pretty quick.

      Delete
  3. When I first started running I used RunKeeper but eventually switched to the Garmin 220 last April and haven't looked back. The only slightly annoying thing is that it takes a good 2+ minutes for my Garmin to connect to the Satellites from where I live, but it usually connects faster at races :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far as I've been fooling around with it, it picks up the satellites pretty quick. Cant wait to get my first run in with this thing.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!