Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Flat Out Indecisive

The start to this week from a running point of view has started out pretty rocky.  Sunday I went out for 4.5 miles and was battling sluggish legs and wind the whole time.  Yesterday, I was completey indecisive about what I wanted to do...

Did I want to run or rest?  Did I want to bike instead of run?  What route did I want to take?  No idea what I wanted to do for the run.  Ended up running/walking 3 miles at 10:38 pace.  Not a bad run considering I didnt want to go but the indecisiveness is what I really need to work on.  Lots of people call those junk miles where you are just out there wasting time, so I think the rest of the week will be focused on runs with a purpose.  Going out there with a goal in mind and hitting that goal.

Ever have a few days where you are just out of it and your runs reflect that?  What do you think about junk miles?

6 comments:

  1. Great idea to head out with a specific goal in mind! When I'm in a slump doing that always helps. I definitely have low patches where I just don't want to run. Usually they come after a few weeks of intense training when my body needs rest. My running coach schedules in a low mileage week every 3-5 weeks to help avoid those slumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can just stick to it than I would be on my way. I think I need a coach at times just to keep me on track but then again I see some progress here and there and think the things Im doing are working.

      Delete
  2. I think the occasional junk miles day is fine--Sometimes running and/or life just gives you an off day. I usually find that when I need a junk mile day it is the mental break that I need. I did 3 junk miles today. I am having a hard time motivating myself to get out in the cold--something about March, I am just done with winter. So in AZ, are you heading into your "indoor" or more off season because of the heat? I start coaching Spring Track on Monday. Only in NH do you start the season by shoveling the track, and reminding the kids they need hats, gloves and 2 sweatshirts...soon it will be nice!

    Sometimes I think I need a coach too for the reason you said above. I have started trying to write out basic workouts (speed, intervals, distance....but more importantly the strength/core work, as I tend to "forget" that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find there is a thin line between recovery run and junk miles so I try to get all the miles I can. LOL yeah we are getting ready to pack it in, this will be the first running summer so we are already looking into running alternatives. Fiance wants a dreadmill so I think that is the route we are going. Good luck with Spring Track and no better way to start the season by clearing the track lol.

      I am going to see where I get to by the end of the year and maybe look into that next year if my training start to plateau.

      Delete
  3. I've had junk days myself. I usually just call them "blah" runs. My pace varies on them, from dragging my feet because I really don't want to do it, to sprinting almost the entire way, just so I can get it over with. It really just depends on my over all mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think junk miles are just part of the sport. Sometimes they dont happen until your out there and the only way home is to run the rest of your run. I agree with the sprinting part, my recovery run have been turing into progression runs because I just want to hurry up and be done with them.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!