Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Dead Weight

I was pleased with last week and with me missing Sunday, I thought I would have a jump start this week by getting out and running a few miles.

As soon as I started to lace up my shoes I should of just sat back down on the couch and relaxed.  Something was off and I just didnt feel like running.  None the less, got my shoes on and headed out.  Within the first quarter mile I could tell my legs were just sluggish and just DEAD WEIGHT.  I powered through the run, I was shooting for five miles but ended up with 4.5 miles at 9:01 pace.  Looking back at my splits, they were actually pretty good for adding in a few walking breaks here and there.

Now I've had those runs where you are lacking motivation but once you get out there things just open up and you have a decent run.  Yesterday was different, I just didnt have my legs under me and couldnt do a whole lot about it.  The take away though is that I'm dedicated to the training plan, knocking out the miles I need to, and I cant wait to have a better run tonight.

Have you ever had a run and just felt like you had a 20 pound backpack on?  Are you doing anything special for St. Patricks Day?

6 comments:

  1. I've definitely been there with the sluggish, dead weight runs. They are the worst! I usually cut those runs really short. My coach says on those days it's your body's way of telling you it needs rest, and it's better to let it rest than to run junk miles. I think it was smart of you to listen to your body and leave off the last .5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I doubt that .5 did anything for me. I should of packed it in after the first mile. I'm regretting it now cause my legs are gassed today. May have to take the night off or bike a few miles.

      Delete
  2. I have had those runs and they are tough... Sometimes I try and walk it out after... Keeps the blood flowing...hydrate and rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I felt like each of my legs weighed 20 pounds and I was just lugging them around lol. Just trying to record the miles and move onto the next day.

      Delete
  3. I've been there! I've had runs where it has felt like each time I lift my knee someone is actually pushing back on it. lol I was sick in Nov. and after I came back I had several runs like that...eeeck. Hungry Runner Girl always says when you have a run like that a good run is bound to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, and the headwind on the way back made it all that much worse. Heavy legs and wind in my face, come on! Had to be someones sick joke lol. I agree, a good run is bound to come, just have to move onto the next one and do my best.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!