Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Can It Get Any Better??

So I have one run in the books with my new Garmin (I know all of you are like "enough with the Garmin") but last night was my first regular run throughout our neighborhood.  The run went great, I completed 4 miles at about 8 min pace and my body felt great.

The exciting part came when I logged onto Garmin Connect for the first time and loaded up my run data.  This application is AMAZING.  I had no idea the Garmin collected this amount of information during the run.  With that being said I am in no way affiliated with Garmin, I dont work for them, not sponsored by them, and paid hard earned money for this device.  I would recommend one to ANYBODY and have no idea how I ever ran without one.

Here is the Garmin Connect application from my trail run on Monday.



Have you used the Garmin Connect application before?  Do you think it breaks down your run too much or do you find it helps make you a better runner?

11 comments:

  1. lol...the data is cool...my husband loves all that data...me, I look at more what is on the watch...I think it is a personality thing! (I am really chuckling because I have been teasing my husband lately about collecting similar data now when we downhill ski...I tend to be more of an enjoy the run/ride person. I do see the benefits and am trying to use it more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, definately a personality thing. I tend to be very analytical and have been working on trying to think through my runs more and not be so focused on the mechanics of my runs. Long work in progress and the Garmin is not helping, but still moving in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the Garmin data too! Although when I know I've had a bad run, I cringe before loading it haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definately a draw back from seeing all that data. But as runners we have good runs and bad runs, comes with the territory. Just have to limit them as much as possible lol.

      Delete
  4. Oh I remember the days of a new Garmin! So fun to sit and analyze, but don't take yourself/your running too seriously! Also, that trail run looks exceptional. I wish I were that near a trail that I could run like that over lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I need more leisure runs where I am running just to run and dont worry about time/pace/distance.

      Yes this trail is pretty rough. I give myself 15 min to drive as deep as I can into the trail. Due to hikers sometimes I dont get as far along as I try but still a great workout.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! You have to LOVE That first time you load up Garmin Connect!! :) Good for you! I'm glad you are enjoying it. :) When the dust settled I realized I was interested mostly in pace, elevation, and the route... but it is nice to have SO much at your fingertips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is that I only thought the data on my watch is what was being tracked, once I loaded up Connect I realized that elevation, splits, and even the map were all tracked. I was amazed!!

      Delete
  6. I m so addicted to Garmin Connect! Love, love, love lol I wear a heart monitor every so I even have that data lol Enjoy! what model did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Yeah its just ridiculous how much data these things provide. I got the Forerunner 110. Hope it lasts forever because I love this thing lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!