Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, March 7, 2014

Bump In the Road

Our entire house has been down and out lately.  My fiance is still working her way back from the after effects from her half marathon and the kids have been battling colds this past week.  Well last night I felt the start of a cold myself.  It was only a matter of time.  So to minimize how long I'm sick and keep myself running, I think I made a very wise choice.  I took some nyquil and went to bed early.  Usually I try to run/sweat it out, but this time there was no running. I woke up feeling pretty good aside from a sore throat, and I'm very happy with myself.

Today my little guy is turning 6 years old and we have a bunch of things planned for tonight and tomorrow so I dont think I'll be running in the next couple days.  I'm not too worried because at this point I've ran almost 19 miles which is 40% of what I ran all last month.  This should be a good month but rest days will be good to prevent injury.

How do you handle your training program when you feel the early signs of a cold?  Do family functions/birthdays ever create some challenges in your training?

8 comments:

  1. I embrace the rest days when I feel a cold coming on, because I know after I'm feeling better again I'm going to have fresh legs and absolutely kill my next run!

    Hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there, trying to run today. See how things go.

      Delete
  2. I tend to not run when I feel a cold coming on...I take those vitamin C drink things and zinc drops, which I feel helps my cold ( some say they don't) but usually make my stomach queezy. Sleep, NyQuil-- yep!

    Family time often interrupts training schedules, but you can always juggle days...kids only turn 6 once!

    Enjoy the evening, hope everyone is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the family time definately comes first, I like to think my runs are scheduled around family time so I dont miss anything.

      Delete
  3. Sleep is always a great choice :) I tend to choose sleep when I don't feel good and I usually bounce back faster. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow of life. I only commit myself to 4 work outs a week that way if I get an extra day I feel great about it lol Enjoy the birthday celebration! Happy B day to you little one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I dont think I have a sure fire solution to overcoming sickness. Somestimes I sweat it out and sometimes I rest and they both work at times. This time I rested, starting to feel better, so I'm trying to run today. See how it goes.

      Delete
  4. A box of EmergenC is a must. I try to power-C my way through anything if I have something coming on or family around me sick. I try to stay away from Nyquil and any stuff that knocks you out, because of its aftereffect. Great blog!

    Mark aka @marathoner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting Mark. I love your blog and will be following from now on.

    I usually try to stick with Airborne but went with the nyquil approach this time around. Either way I'm feeling better over the past couple days, I've been running for the last three days and think its just about out of my system.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!