Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Buddy Time is Fun Time

Last night was my first buddy run.  A buddy of mine will be running the Pat Tillman run with us next month so he is starting to train for that run.  We decided that I would run about a mile to his house, then together we would run about a mile and a half, then I would finish running the mile home.

Overall the run was 4 miles at 9:22 min/mile.  This was a fantastic recovery run for me and I hope we can do this more in the future.  He is just starting his training and letting him pace me really keeps me on a good recovery pace.  Usually when I set out on my recovery runs alone, I end up turing it into a progression run and really crank out the last few miles. 

Another great thing about this run was taking my mind off the run, no music to drown everything out, and we just talked through the run.  Joking and laughing about normal guy nonsense really benefits you during a run.  I've been looking for a group run because everyone says they are hugely beneficial and I can see why.  I'll plan to run with this guy from now until our race next month but this really makes me want to find a group run to help with my training.

Do you have a buddy that you train with?  Do you participate in group runs?  What do you think of both?

4 comments:

  1. I would love to do group runs, but they don't start up until nicer weather. Once a week would be good. Sometimes it is hard to schedule, but worth it. If I am feeling burnt out, running with a friend always is the remedy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think here in AZ we would have group runs all the time but I havent been able to find any. The buddy run definately was different and I am planning to add them into my routine from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found group runs through local running stores ( check websites), and through local race organizations-- it seems once I signed on for local races I would get emails for them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to ask them at our local store but havent been by there in a while. May need to make a special stop one of these days.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!