Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What Was I Thinking??

So the plan for yesterday was to run 1-2 miles on my lunch break then run a few more miles in the evening time.  I wanted to keep all these miles at a pretty steady pace not really running them too hard.  Well yesterday it was in the 80's here in AZ, so what do I forget to do?

Thats right, properly hydrate myself!!  WHAT WAS I THIKING??  What a stupid thing to do.  Belive me I got a pretty good lecture from my Fiance when I got home.  As we are getting ready for dinner, my stomach is feeling a bit upset, and I have a pretty bad headache.  AFTER the lecture, I start chugging water like crazy, get some food in my stomach and I started to feel a lot better. 

As I was laying down for bed and even as I was driving into work this morning, I cant stop thinking about how that one mistake could of derailed everything I have been doing lately.  I could of easily gotten an injury from the lack or water or worse I could of really ran into some issues on the mountain yesterday with it being so hot.  I've learned my lesson and right now at 6:10 in the morning, I'm two bottles of water down and dont plan to stop LOL.

Have you ever failed to properly hydrate for a run/hike?  What do you do to make sure you have the proper amount of water for the day or for your training?

Trying to get a lot of water in my body so I will be skipping the trail run today and just jogging a few miles later this evening when it is much cooler.

6 comments:

  1. The first thing I do is drink water when I get in from a run--In the summer, Gatorade...then try and keep drinking water throughout the day. I have become dehydrated after a run--no fun! I always walk through the water stops for a 1/2 or longer to make sure I drink and actually swallow the water they give you (I haven't mastered the running drinking, without wearing most of it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem I ran into was not hydrating enough before the run. I was busy at work and rushed to go run. Very good learning lesson and I dont plan on making that mistake again lol

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I'm glad everything worked out! I run in the city, so I just carry cash with me and stop for a bottle of water if necessary. Do you have a handheld water bottle or a water belt you can bring with you? That would probably help in a pinch!

    I have an Amphipod handheld that I sometimes bring on short runs, and the Jurek Endure water belt for longer runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my camelbak with me so I was drinking while I was running but I didnt drink enough before the run. I'm sure I didnt have enough after as well. Either was the take away was, DRINK MORE WATER lol

      Delete
  3. Even though I hydrate a good amount daily in those kind of temps I always struggle. The heat can cause my pace to drop like crazy. Last summer I tried to push it and ended up sick to my stomach more then once. (After my half I got a severe headache and I drank tons prepping for it) Some folks just can't the take heat for running as easily as others. I hope that's not the case for you, but it really is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do pretty good with the heat, as long as I hydrate properly. Obviously this day I didnt take care of business. Being a native here in AZ, you kinda get used to the heat. Lesson learned, drink much more water since that day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!