Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Dilemma

Real quick, had a very good run last night.  Buster (my dog) and I set out to run 2-3 miles.  My legs felt great and I got into a pretty good groove so we ended up running about 4.5 miles.  Now onto more pressing matters!!

I've been wanting to write thise post for a while.  So I have been dealing with a huge dilemma related to running.  As I posted earlier this week, my Fiance is preparing to run her first half marathon this Saturday at The Phoenix Marathon.  I am behind her 100%, I plan to pit crew for her as much as she needs, and I know she is going to kill this run.

The dilemma comes out of my choice of runs.  Early on I had success at the 5K distance, its fast, short, and competative.  So I told myself I dont need to run anything further than 5K.  As we get more involved in the running community, meet more and more people, I am starting to realize the 5K doesnt hold a whole lot of merit.  I feel that even if I run good splits or run under 20 minutes, the half and full marathon trump the 5K.  If my fiance and I were standing next to each other, I go down my list of running accomplishments, and she goes down her list, she has accomplished so much more than I have in terms of running merit.

Now I applaud her for everything she has done, and support her with all of my heart.  I actually look up to her for all she has done (Shhhh dont tell her lol).  She inspired me to start running which has lead to this new found passion for the sport.  With her inspiration, my mentallity is starting to sway, there is this slow creeping feeling in the pit of my stomach and back of my mind.....Time for a half marathon and build towards the full marathon!!!

Do you think the half/full marathon have more merit and trump the 5K?  What was your running progression, did you start at 5K and move to the half/full marathon?

Plan is to get a trail run in today during lunch then knock out a few miles this evening.

8 comments:

  1. I think the distance you prefer to train for and race is completely an individual choice. From what I've observed it has to do with individual strengths, goals and interests.

    For example, my other half Adam doesn't ever race anything other than the 5K because he uses running as cross training for weight lifting/MMA, whereas I run longer distances because running is my main interest. Adam also finds running to be incredibly boring, so he would never want to run longer than a 5K haha. I know some people stick to the 5K distance also because their schedules don't allow for longer training runs due to family/work obligations.

    I started with the 5K thinking that would be the longest I would ever go, but as soon as I crossed that first finish line I was obsessing about the half marathon. Then after I heard that ultramarathons were a thing I knew that was my ultimate goal. I'm not a fast runner and I'm never going to place at a 5K but I do think I can run 50 or 100 miles someday :)

    I think if you're starting to think about a half marathon, that you will eventually run one. Once the seed is planted...! haha

    That being said, I don't think anyone who runs longer distances looks down on 5K runners at all. Mostly it's the opposite, lots of us run longer distances because the 5K is so hard. It requires you to concentrate and fun fast for such a short period of time and there is little room for error if you're going for a goal time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the urge is going to kill me so I'm sure we will start working towards my first half and our first full for both of us. I am intrigued by the ultramarathons as well. I am really enjoying trail runs, and the terrain for most of those runs are beautiful. Only challenge is 60 - 100 miles, running for 20 hours is a long time lol.

      Delete
    2. Haha YES! I can see that you will most definitely do a half marathon and a full marathon if the ultra distance intrigues you! :)

      Delete
    3. I have to agree, the more I read about Sage, Anton, Geoff, Scott, and so many more great runners, I am intrigued all that much more. Some day I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. I think you should run what you love the most. Since you haven't done any of those longer distances, maybe give them and try and see if they are for you. Or maybe try something even completely different like a trail race vs. road. I think everything holds merit in different ways, and that non-runners understand more of what an accomplishment a 1/2 or full marathon is compared to a sub-20:00 5k (which most runners would know is HUGE!!!). But really, it comes down to what you enjoy. It's always worth testing it out, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good thing is that I really enjoy running and its just a matter of getting the training in to complete a half or full marathon. I no longer feel like I "can't" do it, I feel like I just need to train so I am prepared for it. That is a pretty good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think once you get the running bug it's hard to not want to accomplish a distance race. I actually did a 10K with a friend first and I could only walk/run, she jogged the whole time. I then signed up for a 5K to see if I could do it w/o training much, I ended walking at the end...34:00 minutes. So I started training and ran a year later 29:52 :) I think your time is awesome!! Last year the longest I had run was 10 miles, but I signed up for a half and ran it! It was great experience. I am running one this year in Nov. and I hope training will improve my time a little. All time and distance accomplishments are important but I did feel good putting that 13.1 magnet on my car lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I was proud when my fiance put her sticker on our truck, but I also told myself, "I need my own sticker now" LOL

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!