Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Need Help!

Well I just can't seem to figure out these little twinges in my body and it's becoming extremely frustrating.  I feel like I have an IT Band injury one minute then the next minute I feel like I can go out and knock out some miles.  I am driving myself crazy here (my fiance too LOL).  The hard part for me is that I have always felt that my body was a machine capable of knocking out large number of miles per week if I needed it to, and now I feel like my body is letting me down.  Based on my fiance's suggestions, I really need to maintenance my body when I am not running.  Ice my joins, roll my muscles and tendons, and anything else I can do to keep myself running.  If you have any other suggestion please let me know, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Have you ever injured your IT Band?  What do you do pre- and post- training to keep yourself from getting injured?

Plan has me biking a few miles, lets see if I can get out there tonight.

5 comments:

  1. You can try aqua jogging to run without putting too much pressure on your body. I haven't tried it, but others have. Taking warm baths with Epsom salt does help. I'm not a bath taker per se, so I have to be aching to really do this, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I have been reading about "Preventing IT Band Injuries" and I believe that was one of the suggestions. I am really going to focus on stretching, hot/cold, and try to add in some activities that lower the impact on my body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should really start listening to your fiance!! She sounds like a smart cookie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foam roller--it really helps. If you google IT band injury, it is usually caused by a muscle imbalance--you need to strengthen your core and your hips. Also, sometimes changing running shoes helps. If you go to a running store where they analyze your form, tell them about your IT issues, they will help recommend a shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is really something I need to add into my training. Previously I would go out and run, shower, then go to bed. I really need to do more post run maintenance to decrease the chance of injury. I feel really good in my shoes but maybe it is time to get some professional help.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!