Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, February 24, 2014

Battling the Elements

Running over the weekend was up and down.  I took Friday off, ran 4 miles on Saturday, then took Sunday off.

My Fiance is preparing for The Phoenix Half Marathon this Saturday, I'm super proud of her since she has progressed from the 5K, to the 10K, and will now be braving the half marathon.  The reason I bring this up is because she has been monitoring the weather report and there is about a 40% chance for rain on race day.  First, as her pit crew, the kids and myself have to figure out the finish line as we love to be there when she crosses.  Second, I have never ran a race in the rain and have no advice to provide.

So, those of you who are battling the elements all the time, any feedback would be appreciated!!

What kind of weather elements do you battle on a regular basis??  What suggestions do you have for running int he rain??

Plan for me is to run a couple train miles on lunch then some easy miles later this evening.

4 comments:

  1. That is great that she is doing a half marathon!

    As for battling the elements...
    As CRAZY as this sounds, I keep a training journal logging distance, weather, gear I wore and how I felt (wear a face mask next time, etc.) It makes an easy reference point--especially on race day!

    Next...
    embrace the rain--Yep, you will get wet!
    Use body glide or an antichaffing product...you will have more friction troubles
    use a hat or visor (technical not cotton, which absorbs the water) It protects your face.
    Wear as few layers as possible for the weather--Slogging it with many layers=work. Technical shirts, etc stay lighter and chaff less.
    If it is cold a weather resistant breathable wind breaker can keep your core dry and more comfortable, but if it is warm, I wouldn't take it--easy to over heat .
    Nice, comfortable DRY clothes and socks and shoes to change into after and a Ziploc to enclose the wet, fragrant clothes....Have fun...the weather only adds to the experience!
    I just did a half this past weekend with variable conditions--freezing at the start with icy roads, 3 miles in, it was 45 and nice (VERY WET, puddle filled roads due to snow melt), last 3 miles 40 with a head wind. At mile 3 I ditched my gloves and one long sleeve layer, and snow hat, and it was great! I was wishing I had a crew to hand my warmer gear to at the start, but everything I left behind was there at the finish, course volunteers hung up ditched layers on road barriers (A LOT of people were doing what I did, because they didn't have a drop bag location) and everything was there for the finish--the running community is great that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, that is great info, definately going to go over all that with her. I want her to knock this thing out of the park!

      Delete
  2. How exciting!! I've run in the rain, including a complete downpour, before and it wasn't bad at all. The weather is usually really hot here in south Florida so rain is actually welcome because it helps me cool off :) The only downside is potentially soggy clothes that feel really heavy after the rain ends.

    My big piece of advice is to wear very light clothing -- nothing made from cotton that will absorb the water and get soggy/heavy.

    I suggest shorts or running tights/running capris and a very light running top. If it's cold where you are, layers are probably best. Tell her to bring layers that she feels comfortable tossing out and potentially never seeing again. The layers are great because she can get rid of anything that gets soggy, but can also just peel off layers if she gets warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the soggy clothes is the biggest concern so your advice of non-cotton clothing is huge. Then she will have to decide between shorts and her running tights. Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!