Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Active Recovery

After my first ever lunch break workout, my legs were really sore as the trail climb really worked out different muscles than my flat training runs.  So last night I decided to just take a nice easy jog to loosen up my legs.

Ended up running 2 miles at about 9 min pace.  Legs felt great but I am continuing the ice, stretching, and foam rolling possible forever as this seems to be the solution to all my IT Band issues.

As I was running yesterday, I came across a thought.  I've always noticed people out jogging and trying to make themselves healtheir.  I've noticed gentlemen who are early in their road to a healthier life and I would tell my fiance "hey atleast he is out there trying."  Last night I really noticed....There are a lot of people who are active!  Last nights run remained in my housing development which isnt too big but I must of ran by a dozen different people out walking/running/cycling.  I guess when you are in that lifestyle, as my fiance and I are now, you really take notice of those people who are doing the same.  Honestly it felt great, I would much rather be a guy jogging at 8 or 9 at night rather than a lot of other activities which provide much less value to my health.

Do you take notice of fellow runners when your out and about?  Would you trade in your running shoes for something else or is running a full part of your life now?

Thinking I should take a rest day but I've really been liking the way my body has been feeling.  Going to take today minute by minute.

4 comments:

  1. I always notice runners/bikers...especially if it is on one of my usual "routes"--I think maybe they could be a running partner. I see the same person running every morning when I bring my kids to school (in my mind he is "glove guy"--he has bright red gloves...) If by chance I don't see him, I think--hope he isn't sick or something...He is what I call a familiar stranger--someone I see nearly everyday, but have no clue who they are, but yet, feel I know them...

    I would have a hard time trading in my running shoes...tried biking when injured a couple of times...just wasn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting take on that and "familiar stranger" is very funny. I agree, trading in my running shoes would really be a stretch as much as I enjoy the ease of riding my mountain bike around the neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Stretching icing and patience are all good for recovery. I've only been running a little more than a year, but I 've gone through some rough phases trying to adjust to the new intense activity level but I love it! nothing else really come close for me now. I always say rest days never hurt anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The post run routine is definately time consuming but if it keeps me running I just have to make time for it. I agree, rest days never hurt anyone.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!