Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, January 31, 2014

Family Runs

Yesterday's run itself was pretty uneventful.  Knocked out a couple miles at about 8 min pace.  The highlight of yesterday's run was how our runs have become somewhat a family event.

We take the kids along with us to the junior high school track and they get to ride scooters, play basketball, and just play around.  As I make each lap on the track I have them running along with me, waving as I pass, and I just smile at how active we have become.

I owe it all to my fiance, had she never started us down this path, we would probably be at home watching TV.

Do you and your significant other run together?  Is the rest of the family involved in your exercise activities?

Plan is to bike a few miles today.

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I run used to run together once a week, and it turned into a race (yep, we are both a little competitive). Now we try and do our long runs together-slow and steady. We have 3 kids, I coach my girls in junior high xc, and all 3 in track so we run together then. We have done 5ks as a family, and it is fun. We hope to do a "marathon relay" together--maybe this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been running regularly for two or three years, and it has become a family affair. One of my greatest joys was a year ago when my then 12-year-old son and I ran a 5K together. I had to set my ego aside and not worry about MY time, but it was worth it to coach him through the tangents and finish alongside him. Then he joined the middle school XC team last fall, and in November finished only 15 seconds behind me in a 5K.

      Last September, all four of us ran a 5K together. It was a great family bonding experience (I ran with my 9-year-old, and he beat his mom by 4 minutes). In warmer weather, we will all go to the track together and do some workouts.

      Just last Saturday, I came back from an 11-mile run, and my wife had run a 5K on the treadmill. She said to me, "Thanks for inspiring me to run."

      Delete
    2. Jeff,

      Thanks for sharing, that really validates things for my family and I. We have participated in a few events and at this point the younger ones have stayed at the base area but it sure is a great welcome when you cross that finish line and you have one of your children run up to you.

      We hope to follow your example and get our kids started in running at a young age. It will be great when our whole family can run event like your has.

      Again thanks for sharing, I really enjoy hearing about other runners experiences.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!